(click on thumbnail to enlarge)
A cold mirror is designed to reflect visible light and transmit infrared radiation/energy (heat). As a result the visible light is fully availabe for the lighting application while reducing up to 90% of the reflected heat. Cold mirrors are frequently applied to reflectors that are located close to the source.
Typical characteristics of a cold mirror include:
- Over 90% reflectance in visible light
- Minimum 83% transmission beyond 800 nanometers
Bausch and Lomb received an Academy Award for the application of dichroic technology to motion picture projection. The Thin Film Coatings Group division of Bausch and Lomb is now DichroTec Thin Films, LLC.
- Large diameter reflectors up to 36" or large format flat glass
- Large volume reflector throughput (>3,000 MR11s per production run) resulting in low unit cost
- Uniform distribution across large deep dish substrates
- Significant manufacturing capacity (fourteen 96" diameter PVD coaters)
- Extremely durable coatings tested to 650° C
Cold Mirrors are a very efficient way to reduce ambient heat optically, and are a very effective mirror to the visible spectrum.
DichroTec Thin Films can apply these films to your reflector or can locate and source a reflector to your requirements.
- Projection Lighting